TOEFL Integrated Essay Writing: Useful Words
When writing either your independent or integrated TOEFL essay, keep in mind there are certain words that will make your writing come across as more academic and intelligent. Coherence is essential for getting a high score on the writing section. Often times there are specific words you can try to incorporate in your essay that will make your essay easier to read.
Perhaps the most difficult thing on the integrated essay is connecting ideas. After all, you are connecting ideas from both a reading passage and an academic lecture. As we know, sometimes the information from both sources is contradictory and sometimes similar. Several hints and corresponding words for your integrated essay would be:
1) Always tell the reader where your information is coming from. For instance, is the information you are comparing or contrasting from the reading or listening? It’s important the grader knows that you know which is which. When presenting information from either, keep in mind you should add some variety to your citations.
“According to the lecture…”
“The reading states…”
“According to the speaker/lecturer….”
“The reading made the point that….”
Remember to alternate how you quote your sources. Otherwise your essays can get repetitive and come across as not very sophisticated.
2) When showing examples, keep in mind variety is also key. After all, examples are the bulk of your information. So when presenting them in your essay, don’t forget to “mix it up.” Here are some ways you can do so, with many more options out there.
“As an example…”
Using variety in your integrated essay with how you cite your sources and give your examples will make for more interesting reading and can only help you attain the highest TOEFL score possible.
Comments are closed.
- My Test Prep Experience: Two Students, Two Stories, Two GMAT Scores
- Why Grammar is the Enemy of Sentence Correction
- Top 4 Ways to Master English for the TOEFL
- Top 4 Math Tricks for Mastering the SATs
- How to Master the Trickiest Series of Questions on the GRE
- Top 3 Reasons Why Taking the GMAT Will Help Your Career
- How to Use Communication Skills to Master the TOEFL Exam
- 3 Reasons Why I Regret Not Taking an SAT Test-Prep Course
- How to Work Backwards To Master The GRE Exam
- Top 3 Tips For Slashing GMAT Test-Taking Time