Quick Facts for TOEFL
- It is made up of Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing sections.
- It will take you about four hours in total from start to finish.
- For the Speaking section, you speak into a microphone and your responses are digitally recorded and sent to the ETS Online Scoring Network.
- For the Writing section, you will type your responses, which are sent to the ETS Online Scoring Network.
- Human raters, trained and certified by ETS, rate the Speaking and Writing responses.
- The test is not is not computer adaptive.
- You can take notes throughout the whole test.
- There is no stand-alone Grammar section.
- Grammar is tested wholly within the four skill areas.
- In comparison to previous versions of the TOEFL, the addition of a speaking section and expansion of the writing section requires students to communicate in original English.
- New integrated-skills questions test ability to learn, to integrate information across multiple tests.
- They are more difficult and more reflective of actual academic English.
Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing
- The Reading section consists of about 3–5 passages (About 700 words each), with 12–14 questions each section.
- There are about fifty questions in the whole section, and it will take you about 60-100 minutes to complete.
- The Listening section consists of 4–6 lectures with about 6 questions per lecture, as well as 2–3 conversations with 5 questions per conversation.
- The Speaking section sees you doing two independent tasks and four integrated tasks, two of which are reading/listening/speaking while the other two are just listening/speaking.
- The Writing section requires you to do one integrated writing task and one independent writing task.
- TOEFL iBT provides five scores: four sections scores for Reading, Listening, Writing, and Speaking and a total score.
- Each section is on a 0-30 scale.
- The total score is the sum of the four section scores.
- The range of total scores could be anywhere from 0-120.
- It is valid for two years.
- You may take the TOEFL iBT test only once in any seven-day period, even if you took the test and canceled your scores.
- The normal fee to take the TOEFL test is US$110. However, it varies based on country.
- To register for your test, please visit www.ets.org/toefl.
Comments are closed.
- Why the GMAT is a CAT Exam and Why You Should Love It
- What 3 Characteristics Are Best Suited for an MBA
- Top 5 Useful GMAT Strategies That Will Totally Surprise You
- Top 3 Must-Know Tips for GMAT Data Sufficiency Problems
- Take Germany’s World Cup Championship advice on how to train for the GMAT
- Why Work Experience Matters to Business Schools
- Top 9 Essential Career Books You May Have Missed in School
- Important to know about an online MBA
- How Preparing for the GMAT Prepares You for B-School
- Five Questions to Ask Before Hiring a GMAT Tutor